Beginner Project Idea: Creating a Calculator in Java
For this project, we will be creating a four-function calculator that a user can use from the command line or terminal on their computer.
- Create a Java project in your integrated development environment of choice.
- Define a calculator class with necessary fields & methods for its operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication & division).
- Implement a method for each of the four operations which takes in two double values & returns the results of the operation.
- Use the scanner class to prompt the user to input two double values & the operation they would like to perform.
- Use the input to call the appropriate method to perform the calculation & output the result to the command line.
By completing this project, you will learn object-oriented programming, working with Java libraries & creating command-line programs. Algorithm design & problem-solving are skills you will learn, which are critical in your pursuit to become a software developer.
You can use these resources & ChatGPT to get started. Additionally, if you have any questions or any issues arise, you may book a 1:1 chat or call on the main page or post a question to the forum with the issue you are experiencing.